No apparently salacious bar graph this time, just the hard numbers. A bit crooked, but what can I say?
These are my stats as of yesterday for the year, and you can see I have been submitting like a hummingbird hits the flowers–here, there, and everywhere. Some results have been great, some have been not what I would have liked. I’ve got some good stories that can’t seem to find their forever home, and others that I didn’t think ever would now have. Several of those 184 rejections later became acceptances, as nothing gets to wallow in self-pity. Almost everything gets chucked out the door again within a week. Unless it’s been rejected so many times I finally let it rest for a while.
Last year, I was lucky to get my 12 Ladies of Horror flash pieces done. This year I’ve made 316 submissions before the year is half over. And while working on self at the same time. I’ve lost over 10 pounds since March through Noom and walked 26.5 miles of a 46.4 virtual challenge in 18 days.
It’s amazing to me what a good year this has been so far after the debacle of 2020. I feel like my work is improving on so many levels, even if the new stuff is getting rejected as much as the old homeless stuff.
- I have been accepted into SFWA and HWA, as well as joining the SFPA.
- I have sold two of my 300 word contest flash pieces that didn’t make the cut to other markets.
- I have been a finalist twice in the Crystal Lake Publishing monthly flash contest.
- I have been in the voting gallery for the London Photo festival twice this year.
- I have written dozens of new poems, several flash pieces, and at least one new short story.
- I have attended my first in-person faire in over a year.
- I have begun revisiting my WIPs in my head and hope to get at least a couple polished up.
Even looking at the list makes me tired! But in a fantastic way. I can’t believe how well the year is going. How about yours? Leave me a list in the comments so I can cheer on your successes!
300 subs is amazing. I wish I had your stamina, but I’ve spent this year working on one novel so far. Anyway, thanks for sharing!
Thanks, Stuart. I am still working up to my next novel rewrite. I haven’t finished a novel in two years.