I am very honored and a bit intimidated to announce that I have been asked to edit an anthology for Mocha Memoirs Press. Submissions don’t officially open until May 1st, but I am giving you a few days lead time to start thinking of what you want to write. The theme of the anthology is Airship Piracy, though if you have a rollicking good airship account without pirates, it never hurts to give it a shot. Here are the official guidelines:
Mocha Memoirs Press is pleased to announce that a new Steampunk anthology, Avast Ye Airships!, is opening May 1st for submissions. Please read all of the information provided.
What We Want: Avast Ye Airships! will be an open themed Steampunk anthology of short stories, released as a digital book and as a paperback book. We are looking for Steampunk featuring airships—and pirates would be nice, but aren’t mandatory—as well as a beautifully crafted, original story.
Feel free to read our general submission guidelines for more information.
What We Don’t Want: We will reject any stories that contain rape, bestiality, and the abuse of minors. Violence and sex are acceptable but make them integral to the plot. Other than that, use your imagination—Steampunk is nothing without imagination.
- Submit your work to mmpsteampunk(at)gmail(dot)com with Avast Ye Airships Sub: Your Story Title_Your Last Name in the subject line. Attach your story as a DOC or DOCX file. Submissions sent in the body of the email will not be read.
- We prefer to see submissions using something approaching Standard Manuscript Format, which can be found here: http://www.shunn.net/format/story.html
- The only exception is that italics MUST appear as they will be used; no underlining.
- Include a brief cover letter in the body of your email stating your name, pen name (if using one), story title with word count, address, website or blog, and any professional publication credits you think might interest us.
- We will accept works of 1,500-6,000 words. Please query if you wish to submit outside of these guidelines.
- No simultaneous submissions, please. We ask that you don’t submit a story to us and to another market at the same time.
- Multiple submissions—sending more than one story for consideration—are okay. If sending more than one story, please send them in separate emails.
We’re not accepting reprints for this anthology. We will pay a flat $10 per story via Paypal only. Payment will be made within 45 days of publication. We are seeking Worldwide English Language rights for 12 months in print and digital formats.
Authors from outside of the United States-We welcome you and will accept American or British English spelling. Please be aware that at this time, we have a largely American readership. Feel free to help us expand that base.
Submission Deadline and Publication Schedule:
We will remain open for submissions from May 1-December 31, with an expectation that the anthology will be published by March 1.